Outfit / Day Without A Woman & International Women's Day | Pennies & Paper: Outfit / Day Without A Woman & International Women's Day

    

Outfit / Day Without A Woman & International Women's Day

Wednesday, March 8


On January 20th, I participated in one of the Women's Marches. It was, in short, amazing and powerful, and I truly felt connected to a wider whole of every woman and feminist around the globe, even those unable to attend a march in person.

Today, a few months later, is International Women's Day. I have to admit I never paid this day much attention until this year, when the Women's March on Washington organizers declared it A Day Without a Woman.  


According to their website

Anyone, anywhere, can join by making March 8th A Day Without a Woman, in one or all of the following ways:

Women take the day off, from paid and unpaid labor
Avoid shopping for one day (with exceptions for small, women- and minority-owned businesses)
Wear RED in solidarity with A Day Without a Woman 


I didn't feel comfortable taking the day off work--I have a vacation next week and suddenly taking today off would not have gone over well--but I made no purchases and wore one of the few red things I own, this belt. (On the purchasing front, I have to admit that I'm sorely tempted to buy something from my new obsession, one of my LuLaRoe retailers--happily, they are women-run and I believe women owned :D)  


This belt is from Kohl's, and I bought it several years ago to go with a decidedly un-festive thrifted grey sweater dress that I wanted to wear for Christmas. Belts are something I often forget to wear, but today I built my entire outfit around one! I opted for entirely black and white, to better emphasize my red.


It seems most people came into my office today--but there was a happy overload of red.




Belt: Kohl's | Dress: Loft | Tights: CVS | Heels: DSW | Cardigan: Handmedown | Lip: Burt's Bees Tinted Balm in Black Dahlia | FitBit: Charge 2, gifted | Rings: old 


I rushed home from the train, grabbed my barely charged camera and any red-books-written-by-women I saw on my shelves, and dashed outside. My outfit shooting skills are rusty and I was racing the sun. I opted not to worry about things being perfectly in focus or fixing the lighting after shooting--that's too much like work. 



This year, I've been striving to read more by women and people of color, and especially women of color. I average four books a month, and when I can't decide what to read next I prioritize writers of color. But my bookshelves are lacking in diversity, so I was pleasantly surprised by the semi-diversity of my red-books-by-women. To be honest, I didn't expect to have any women of color in this handful.



There are so many things I could say about International Women's Day and A Day Without a Woman.  I certainly thought about what a day would look like without me in it. I hope everyone had a red-filled, work-lite, spending-lite day. And I hope you spent some time thinking about the women in your lives--your mothers and aunts and daughters and sisters, but also your coworkers and service workers and the homeless woman you walk by everyday. Maybe you even spoke with someone new, or listened to women who have very different experiences from your own. The future is female and intersectional, and we can only get there if we go together.

Bloops :D



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment--they are the highlight of my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...