Book Review / Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum | Pennies & Paper: Book Review / Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum

    

Book Review / Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum

Monday, January 25


Tell Me Three Things
by Julie Buxbaum
April 5, 2016 [expected] by Delacorte Press (Random House)
 Goodreads || Amazon  
 
First of all, a huge hooray and pat on my back for actually finishing an arc (advance reader's copy) before its publication date! I've got two more arcs, courtesy of Young to Publishing, sitting on my shelf, but I was excited about this one after hearing good things and just had to read it first.

I don't usually read contemporary YA (John Green the lone exception) and prefer to stick to the dystopian and historical variety. So I surprised myself when, after not reading any YA for some time, I picked up Tell Me Three Things. The cover alone drew me in, before I had even read the back copy, because of it's less traditional YA design (girls in dresses, anyone?). As you read, you realize the cover has a multi-layered meaning, which, let's be honest, are the best sorts of covers. Overall, this books was just short of amazing--I started it while on vacation and had it finished a week later (pretty good for someone working full time and reading mostly on commutes).

In Julie Buxbaum's first YA novel, sixteen-year-old Jessie moves from Chicago to California after her father remarries. She has no friends and is often bullied by the popular girls, all the while grieving for her mother, who died two years ago. Then a classmate messages her under the moniker "Somebody Nobody," and Jessie comes to rely on this stranger she has never met.

One of the main strengths of this book lies in the characters. Even in a first person narration, with a rather self-centered protagonist, Buxbaum brings all of the characters to life. With people from both Jessie's new and old life making appearances, this could be a tall order, but Buxbaum delivers. Despite having next to nothing in common with Jessie, I come to care for her and the people around her.

This is also a romance in the best sense. Jessie's budding relationship with SN takes place over text, and there is no physical romance until the final scene. It is a relationship that is all at once brutally honest and more confused, in both cases because these characters have never met in person. The story is truly driven by Jessie and her thoughts.

For me, the only detractions were minor. First, I don't love extremely modern pop culture references, because apps and celebrities and news change so fast, and this book has many. However, I know this doesn't bother most readers--it will just date the book. Second, I did guess who SN was kind of early on. But spoilers have never bothered me, and I still enjoyed the story. My concerns can't take away the fact that this book is smart and doesn't hold back. On top of everything else, Tell Me Three Things has cursing, blunt & truthful discussions of sex & grief & alcohol, and a Gertrude Stein motif ("Jessie is Jessie is Jessie"--"a rose is a rose is a rose").

Despite being a YA book, Tell Me Three Things felt very adult--a grown up YA book. And through it all, Jessie's strong narrative voice carries the reader along the ups and downs of all of her relationships.
 post signature 

Disclaimer: I received an advance reader's copy from the publisher because I am a member of Young to Publishing. I was not compensated in any way and all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment--they are the highlight of my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...