DIY / Miss Frizzle | Pennies & Paper: DIY / Miss Frizzle

    

DIY / Miss Frizzle

Wednesday, November 4

DIY / Miss Frizzle | Pennies & Paper Blog

This Halloween I finally put together a costume I've wanted to for years--Miss Frizzle! Making this definitely embodied her most famous phrase: "Take chances, make mistakes, get messy!" Everything that could have gone wrong did, but I think it came out very well in the end.

If you don't know who Miss Frizzle is, you should stop reading this post and watch it right now (it's streaming on Netflix, and is still so popular that Netflix is doing a reboot!). But if you don't have time to watch four seasons of pure awesome, check out my tweet below for a comparison. The space dress is the outfit that The Friz first appears in (and yes, I did match the front as closely as possible...details in costumes are key!).


DIY / Miss Frizzle | Pennies & Paper Blog

DIY / Miss Frizzle | Pennies & Paper Blog

There are tons of different ways to make this dress, and you can make one of her other outfits quite easily as well! I was focused on speed and budget, since I made this in less than a week and don't have a huge income.

The Dress
DO thrift this. I lucked out and found this on my first trip to the Garmet District for $17. If you're in a pinch, try a sleeveless A-line dress with a button-down shirt underneath.

The Design
DO make a few patterns (I used basic paper). DON'T try to cut the design out of old T-shirts, like I did. Although it was free and helped me clean out my T-shirt drawer, it was the biggest pain ever. T-shirts do not like to cooperate. I struggled to cut the pieces and then I simply could not sew them, which was my original plan. I suggest using felt. If you're doing to glue, DO buy fabric glue, and don't get stuck using whatever is in your house (i.e. wood glue) at the last minute. When in doubt use construction paper and duct tape (in general, you can make any Halloween costume with those two things).

The Shoes
The Friz matches her shoes to her outfit. Your shoes are probably going to get beat up, so DO use paper and cardboard, as I did for my little rockets. Another option is to buy very cheap pumps and glue something directly onto them.

The Hair
Miss Frizzle has red curls that are pulled half up. My hair works perfectly for this and I also timed a henna treatment for the occasion (although it's barely red). But any sort of messy bun works well, and is very in character.

Other
If you can, wear matching earrings, buy a Liz plush (or use any old lizard/dragon/whathaveyou stuffed animal) and safety pin it to your shoulder. For brownie points, make your bag into a Magic School Bus using cardboard and construction paper.

DIY / Miss Frizzle | Pennies & Paper Blog

DIY / Miss Frizzle | Pennies & Paper Blog

DIY / Miss Frizzle | Pennies & Paper Blog

DIY / Miss Frizzle | Pennies & Paper Blog

DIY / Miss Frizzle | Pennies & Paper Blog

What were you for Halloween? Link to your blog/Instagram posts below--I'd love to see them!

post signature

Photos by my father


17 comments:

  1. I loved this show! Such a cute idea! I didn't participate this year in Halloween, but this is a great idea for next year!

    Mikayla | A Seersucker State of Mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha Omg this is great!! That was one of my favorite shows growing up, you did an amazing job replicating that look.

    xo,
    Sara Kate Styling

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so creative, this was one of my fav shows! Love this, I was buzz lightyear for Halloween, but this looks easier!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great costume idea.
    I absolutely loved this show when I was growing up.
    Great job!

    xoxo, Jenny || Breakfast at Lillys

    ReplyDelete
  5. So insanely cute! Love it!
    www.kayleighskloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, love this!!! So funny and cute! Great job pulling it off.
    xo, claudia
    www.chroniclesofclaudia.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fantastic and SO creative! I loved the magic school bus. I was Spinelli from Recess this year!
    (@hechanovicious) :)

    Alessandra | blog.pumpup.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the Magic School Bus tv show and books when I was a kid, this outfit is such an awesome throwback. You nailed this costume, love love love it! So creative and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so, so obsessed with this. I loved the Magic School Bus growing up & as a teacher I think I'll have to dress up like this in the future!

    xoxo, SS

    The Southern Stylista

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely adored this show growing up! Such a great idea!
    with southern grace,
    Lindsey
    www.withsoutherngrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did this PERFECTLY. Took me right back to elementary school days. x Nicole | www.changeanddress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh- what a creative costume!! I remember this show. This is so fun! DIY costumes are the best.

    xoxo A
    www.southernbelleintraining.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so awesome!! As a teacher, I am bound and determine to dress as Miss Frizzle for school one day! Thank you for the great inspo!

    xo Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG what a great a costume idea! I love that you can thrift it too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I miss Miss Frizzle! What a great costume idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, this is such a cute outfit! You are so creative :) I love it!!

    XO, SS || Seersucker Sass

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cute look! This was such a creative idea

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment--they are the highlight of my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...