Life / Graduation In Focus: 5 Things to Remember | Pennies & Paper: Life / Graduation In Focus: 5 Things to Remember

    

Life / Graduation In Focus: 5 Things to Remember

Monday, June 1

This morning I start my post-grad internship. It's one I'm immensely excited about, but I still have that little voice in the back of my head going: "you may have an internship, but you don't have a job." It's a real struggle to enjoy the moment and take this post-graduation time to appreciate myself and figure out where I want to go (suggestions given to me by already-graduated friends who took several months to get full-time jobs).

In light of that, here are five things I want to remember during my few months at this internship. I love the idea of positivity and affirmations, and hope others find these thoughts empowering.

Dad made me this awesome interrobang necklace for a graduation gift--can you believe he made this?!

// Leave time to enjoy things that are just for you. Even if you're jumping straight from the graduation stage to the office, it's vital to remember that you are just as important--more so--than making money and using that degree. In fact, this becomes even more important if you don't have concrete plans (like me).  Keep applying for jobs, but don't feel guilty about going out to eat, taking an evening to catch up on TV shows, or starting into your to-read pile.


// You will never stop learning. I love learning, and I loved school. And while I'm sure I will eventually go on to get a master's (in what, I have no idea!), that won't be happening any time soon. In the meantime, I'm trying to get back into daily language practice on Duolingo, exploring coding through Code Academy, searching out blog how-tos, and picking a MOOC I would like to complete. On top of all that, my internship--and I imagine this will be try for any future internship or job--provides me with ample opportunities through learning thanks to the endless shelves of both our books and competitors.



// Schedules will still be your best friend. Most people benefit from schedules, even outside of work. Continuing to make daily schedules even in the "real world" ensures that chores get done, you have budgeted time for hobbies (like blogging!), and you will always have time to relax after a long day.



// Everything is one small moment in your life, no matter how big it seems at the time. This harkens back to Robin Roberts's speech about taking small steps to achieve big goals. Even a big break is in reality one small step in the larger scheme of everything you will say, see, or do, which is both heartening and frightening. But no matter how small, every move is important.




// You're in uncharted territory--everything is an adventure. Since age five, I have been a student. Throwing away that title is immensely difficult for me. It's all I know how to do, and I did it well. But that doesn't mean change is always bad. When everything is new, the possibilities are endless.

More in this series: 5 Lessons From Pub Club | It's the Little Things | Monday Meetings & Farewells | Twice on Top of the World on a Tuesday | A Big Blue Watery Road | Graduation Recap | Graduation in Focus 
post signature

13 comments:

  1. That necklace is awesome! And now I know the word "interrobang" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These tips are so wonderful! Also a note to you: Internships post grad are vital to learning and determining where you see yourself in the future! Wishing you lots of luck.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You will never stop learning" is what makes life so interesting and rewarding :)
    "Everything is one small moment in your life, no matter how big it seems at the time" and alternatively, life is made up of small moments.
    "You're in uncharted territory--everything is an adventure" leads me to one of my favorite quotes: To unpathed waters, undreamed shores. -William Shakespeare
    I hope you have a great experience at your internship!
    -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree wholeheartedly with tip number one.
    When I was first starting to apply to jobs, I felt guilty if I took a few moments away for the job hunt -- but then I realized that was very unfair to myself.
    Great tips!
    I hope your internship goes wonderfully.

    xoxo, Jenny || Breakfast at Lillys

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great tips! I think the best approach to any new phase in life is to just take it one day at a time. We only have one life to live- so while that may seem like we have to get a lot done in a small period of time, we also need to enjoy ourselves. Good luck with your internship! :)

    http://apeachysonder.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love learning and was so sad when I graduated because subconsciously it indicated an eternal cease in learning. While it's true you have to seek out learning more intentionally on your own after graduation it doesn't mean your learning is over at all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great post! And I agree - everything is an adventure.

    http://thealwaysblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on graduating and landing an internship! I completely agree with you that you will never stop learning in life :)

    XO
    Ashley
    privateschoolprepster.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! And I love these little 5 things to remember. I definitely agree that we'll never stop learning:)

    xoxo
    Lauren Ashley
    www.thefashionistasdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are all great things to remember, not just for your internship but also for life in general! Good luck with your internship, and I hope it turns into something amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great (and very true) list!! Thank you for sharing your wisdom :)

    XX, SS || A Little Seersucker Sass

    ReplyDelete
  12. such an awesome post! totally agree with you about making schedules!

    xx, http://sincerelykenz.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! My sister just graduated from high school. It's such an amazing thing!

    xo // www.thematerialgirl.co

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment--they are the highlight of my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...