Life / Graduation Recap: Dream Big, Take Small Steps | Pennies & Paper: Life / Graduation Recap: Dream Big, Take Small Steps

    

Life / Graduation Recap: Dream Big, Take Small Steps

Friday, May 22

Just a few days ago, on Monday May 18th, I graduated college. I still have extremely mixed feelings on the subject--I am extremely sad, I'll be perfectly honest--but I would be lying if I wasn't happy and excited on the day of graduation itself.

The end of senior week saw me giving my final tours on Thursday, going to the Family Brunch in the Dining Hall with my mom and brother (brunch was always their best meal!), and hopping around to different graduation parties on Saturday and Sunday. Monday came so, so quickly.

As I woke at the ungodly hour of 6 AM to get to the 7 AM shuttle from campus to the location of commencement, I couldn't help but think of all that I've accomplished this year, let alone my four years here:

  • This final semester I wrote well over 100 pages--a 75-page thesis, an 11-page travel lit midterm, a 14-page travel lit final, a 13-page gender final, three fiction stories and a rewrite totaling 27 pages, eleven 2-page lit responses--and successfully made two e-books.
  • Directly published two student manuscripts and oversaw the publication of two others, plus two literary magazines.
  • My short story "Birthday Presents" was published in Generic.
  • My flash fiction piece "Ninety Three Pencils" was published in Stork.
  • Two of my photographs were published in Gauge Magazine.
  • Four of my photographs were published in Developed Images.
  • Accepted a post-grad internship as an editorial intern for a textbook publisher.
  • Graduated Magna Cum Laude from the Honors Program with a B.A. in Writing, Literature, & Publishing.

Our graduation was the 135th Undergraduate Commencement of Emerson College. We honored four wonderful women with honorary degrees, including our commencement speaker, Robin Roberts, who encouraged us to dream big but take small steps (read about it here or watch the speech here). (The other women were Anne Hawley, outgoing director of the wonderful Isabella Stewart Gardner, Natasha Trethewey, former US poet laureate, and Cheri Blauwet, a doctor and a Paralympic medalist and Boston Marathon winner.) And the student speaker gave a wonderful but honest account of all it means to be an Emersonian.

Graduation Recap--Dream Big, Take Small Steps | Pennies & Paper Blog

Graduation Recap--Dream Big, Take Small Steps | Pennies & Paper Blog
me and my freshman year roommate ^_^

Graduation Recap--Dream Big, Take Small Steps | Pennies & Paper Blog
they made me put the cap back on >.<
Graduation Recap--Dream Big, Take Small Steps | Pennies & Paper Blog
my cousin, Allie, and brother, Sam, came as well (Sam had to leave early for work)
Graduation Recap--Dream Big, Take Small Steps | Pennies & Paper Blog

Graduation Recap--Dream Big, Take Small Steps | Pennies & Paper Blog
got that Emerson hat for dad the summer before my freshman year :)
Graduation Recap--Dream Big, Take Small Steps | Pennies & Paper Blog
Marin and Alex and me--friends from Honors and the Castle
Graduation Recap--Dream Big, Take Small Steps | Pennies & Paper Blog

Graduation Recap--Dream Big, Take Small Steps | Pennies & Paper Blog
photo by Taina
Graduation Recap--Dream Big, Take Small Steps | Pennies & Paper Blog
a plethora of pre-ceremony selfies: roommates // Melanie, a good friend from Honors // Mary, roommate and with whom I've gone to school since kindergarten // Alex and me again
I'm not thrilled to be done with college. I like being in school, and all I know how to do is be a student. Specifically, I like my school. For all we call it "Harry Potter Summer Camp," it's as much work as it is fun. I've learned a lot here, and will never be ready to stop learning. Emerson College is the home of my people, those who are passionate, hard-working, and a little bit crazy. Currently, it feels as though I'm just on summer break--and I know when fall comes around this will hit me so much harder than it is now.

That being said...my diploma is very pretty :) (Not to mention, this also checks off something on my Thirty Before Thirty.)

More in this series: 5 Lessons From Pub Club | It's the Little Things | Monday Meetings & Farewells | Twice on Top of the World on a Tuesday | A Big Blue Watery Road | Graduation Recap | Graduation in Focus
post signature

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your graduation! You had a wonderfully busy time clearly, but you've made it and that's what matters! Have fun celebrating yourself and your successes!


    xoxo,
    Meghan
    Southern Belle Secrets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!! What a great accomplishment. :)
    xoxo
    Lauren Ashley
    www.thefashionistasdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on being a graduate and also all that you have accomplished within your academic department!! (Emerson is a great school! I'm a communications major so that's a school that was recommended for me to apply to when I was in high school!)

    xoxo A
    www.southernbelleintraining.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! That's such a big step! I hope your summer is nice and relaxing before heading into the real world!

    Anchors and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on all your accomplishments! All those publications are very impressive!

    -Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a semester of amazing accomplishments! Congratulations and good luck with your internship!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Wish you the best in everything. xo

    www.thematerialgirl.co

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on graduating and all of your accomplishments!
    Enjoy your internship :)

    xoxo, Jenny || Breakfast at Lillys

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment--they are the highlight of my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...