Outfit / Wintry Spring + Kazuo Ishiguro | Pennies & Paper: Outfit / Wintry Spring + Kazuo Ishiguro

    

Outfit / Wintry Spring + Kazuo Ishiguro

Wednesday, March 25

Wintry Spring Outfit & Kazuo Ishiguro Reading | Pennies & Paper Blog


Technically, it's spring. 

Effectively, it's winter. 

After weeks of #snowpocalypse, missed classes, and malfunctioning public transportation, I'm very ready for sun and warmth...but Saturday, it snowed. Again. Snow in spring. Cue fist shaking at Mother Nature--I think she has a personal vendetta against us Bostonians.




Wintry Spring Outfit & Kazuo Ishiguro Reading | Pennies & Paper Blog

I wanted color but warmth, fun but practicality: sweaters and purple pleather fit the bill nicely.

The sweater is Loft, found at Goodwill. Fun fact: one shoulder has a ripped seam, the other does not, and I didn't notice until the first time I put it on. But I love it. I was toying with the idea of ripping open the other one...but I like it as is.

As for the pants, these are one of the three pairs I got from TJ Maxx over spring break. I've always loved how leather looks, but I can't justify buying it and so pleather is a great compromise. (I was a little worried they'd be stiff or too hot, but so far so good on both counts!)

These grey boots are from three years ago--Mom bought them during my first ever Parents' Weekend. Because they're mostly suede I haven't been able to wear them much, with six-foot-high snow banks and lazy shovelers.

Wintry Spring Outfit & Kazuo Ishiguro Reading | Pennies & Paper Blog

Wintry Spring Outfit & Kazuo Ishiguro Reading | Pennies & Paper Blog

Wintry Spring Outfit & Kazuo Ishiguro Reading | Pennies & Paper Blog

Wintry Spring Outfit & Kazuo Ishiguro Reading | Pennies & Paper Blog

Wintry Spring Outfit & Kazuo Ishiguro Reading | Pennies & Paper Blog

Sweater: Thrifted Loft | Pants: American Eagle via TJ Maxx {similar} | Boots: DSW {similar & similar} | Necklace: Gift (for watching a cat--how perfect!) | Lips: Laqa & Co. Lip Lube in Menatour {exact}

Saturday I attended a reading and discussion by Kazuo Ishiguro--see, the book necklace was a very conscious choice ;) He is the wonderful author of Never Let Me Go, which I read as part of my Utopian, Dystopian, & Apocalyptic Lit class last semester (honestly, one of the best classes I've had!). It was put on by the Harvard Book Store in the beautiful Harvard church, to promote his newest book The Buried Giant. The event was quite long, starting with a short reading and discussion moderated by Robert Birnbaum, moving on to a lengthy Q&A complete with technical difficulties, and ending with a signing of immense proportions. (I had a moment of extreme fangirling during the discussion--I wrote a final paper on cultural memory and dystopias using Never Let Me Go and two other texts, and he spoke about his treatment of memory in his texts. Apparently, a huge part of The Buried Giant is collective memory--so excited to read it!) I'm so glad I got to hear Mr. Ishiguro speak and meet him after :)

Wintry Spring Outfit & Kazuo Ishiguro Reading | Pennies & Paper Blog

Look at this beautiful book: imitation fabric cover, gold inlay, black paper edging, and endpapers!

Does it feel like spring where you are? Or are you stuck in a perpetual winter, like me?


post signature

6 comments:

  1. Really like the color of those faux leather pants and love that you kept the ripped seam. I thought it was part of the style of the sweater. I think Michigan might be included in Mother Nature's personal vendetta. ~Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they fun? And I'm glad you like the rip...my parents keep telling me to fix it, but I think it's unique. Let's hope our states decide to rebel and have warm weather soon!

      Delete
  2. Nice outfit! And I just adore your hair. It's great!

    Liz
    http://lizzieinlace.blogspot.com
    Hope you can join the link-up this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It took me many years to come to terms with my hair, but now I love it--so thank you for that as well :)

      I'm planning on linking up this week too!

      Delete
  3. Your hair are so cute!! It' feels like summer in my city!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! I really do need a haircut. It's become very hit-or-miss on how my hair will look on a given day. And I'm so jealous! I actually quite want some warmth (and sun!) in my life right now.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment--they are the highlight of my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...