Books / GNU Terry Pratchett: Remembering an Ineffable Man | Pennies & Paper: Books / GNU Terry Pratchett: Remembering an Ineffable Man

    

Books / GNU Terry Pratchett: Remembering an Ineffable Man

Monday, March 16

A few days ago, on March 12th, one of my favorite authors passed away.

GNU Terry Pratchett: Remembering an Ineffable Man | Pennies & Paper Blog


Terry Pratchett was an amazing writer, and I don't have anything to say about him that hasn't already been said. I remember reading Good Omens in one day, crying with laughter but also new thoughts. That was my introduction to both Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. I remember my best friend, Ellen, handing me The Amazing Maurice and telling me I had to read it that day (she was right). In London, I bought two books, because I wanted British-published books by these authors: one my Neil Gaiman and one by Terry Pratchett. Going Postal continues to be a go-to comfort book. Whenever I see a turtle, I cannot help but imagine a flat, thriving world on its back.

When I saw today that internet users are ensuring his name goes on forever (a la Going Postal) and there is a petition to Death to bring him back (yes, I signed), I nearly cried. Both are such perfect, beautiful tributes.

His story also comes close to home because of his struggle with Alzheimer's. I have several family members who have or do suffer from this disease, and seeing how Terry Pratchett handled it is heartening. My favorite quote about it, from May of last year, is “It is possible to live well with dementia and write best-sellers ‘like wot I do.”

In that vein, here are some more of my favorite quotes:

“If you don't turn your life into a story, you just become a part of someone else's story.”
The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents

“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
Going Postal

“God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.”
Good Omens (co-written with Neil Gaiman)

Rest in peace, you ineffable man.




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment--they are the highlight of my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...