DIY Peter Pan | Pennies & Paper: DIY Peter Pan

    

DIY Peter Pan

Friday, October 31


My college is obsessed with dressing up. We have an extremely popular Dragtoberfest, cosplaying runs beautifully rampant, and hours are spent planning and photographing and acting. This obsession continues past graduation, too: Some alum work for Disney as characters, and one is even a professional mermaid

Needless to say, Halloween is the most important holiday of the year for us. There are parties each night of the weekend (and often the whole week), kids come dressed up to class, and the night itself is spent parading around Beacon Hill, where it is not uncommon for tourists to stop you for photographs. And it's rather scandalous if you don't have a costume for every separate event! (I fall firmly into the "scandalous" category--not enough time or money!)

Last year, I recapped my Halloween costumes thus far. In the far past, I had many Halloween costumes I loved (a butterfly, Princess Leia, Queen Amidala, Peter Pan) and after a few lackluster years in college decided to step up my costume game. Last Halloween's Black Widow costume is one I am immensely proud of. This year, I opted to go the DIY route. I toyed with many ideas, some of which (Ms. Frizzle, Carmen Sandiego) will be stored away for next year. As I'm sure you've realized by now, I recreated one of my favorite costumes ever, Peter Pan.



Creating this costume was a little more difficult than anticipated, but is still very doable, and very budget friendly!

The Hat
For the hat, I bought two squares of felt at a fabric store for a dollar, and a whole bunch of feathers from Blick for another. I traced an outline of my head on one felt square and then used that "pattern" to cut out both; all of it was then sewn together.

The Tunic
I was too lazy to sew an entire outfit, and was lucky enough to find this shirt in the men's section of H&M. I bought the largest size but still began by stretching it out as much as possible. I zig-zag cut the sleeves but opted not to do that to the bottom hem because it was already extremely short. (I ended up wearing my underarmour shorts beneath.) A ton of felt or green cloth will work well if you want to sew your own tunic, and that way you can make it the right length. Just use a T-shirt as a rough guide--Peter lived a bit of a rough-and-tumble life in the forest, so who cares if it's not perfect?

The Flute
I'm quite proud of the flute. I bought high-quality construction paper from Blick, and rolled and hot-glued it all together, adding a piece of rope I had bought as well. (Initially, that rope was intended for a belt.)

Peter's Kiss
My roommate had an acord with holes perfectly placed in it; I used a needle to get embroidery thread through. I really, really lucked out with this one!

Putting It Together
Tights, belts, and boots I already owned. I wanted bright green tights but had absolutely no luck finding any! I wanted to get moccasins but money prevented me; luckily these boots have tops that can be flipped up or down. 

My costume is certainly not a perfect match, but I had a ton of fun making it! Have some silly photos :D




I headed to campus to participate in an RA friend's Halloween event. She was wearing her Ren Fair outfit, which works perfectly as a makeshift Wendy-Bird!




My friend Jen was a skeleton--check out that makeup!


And then we paraded around the impeccably decorated Beacon Hill, working on the event scavenger hunt. A very fun night!

What did you do for Halloween? Did you DIY, buy, or not dress up?

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Um thank you for officially giving me my costume next year! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha no problem! I'm glad you find it inspiring :) I'm tempted to use this again sometime, although I have a whole host of other things I want to try as well...

      Delete

Thank you for your comment--they are the highlight of my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...