The Long & The Short of It: Reflections On My Hair | Pennies & Paper: The Long & The Short of It: Reflections On My Hair

    

The Long & The Short of It: Reflections On My Hair

Tuesday, May 20

curly hair

Today, I got my haircut! This may not seem like a big deal to most people, but I generally go six to eight months before I cut my hair. For many years I struggled with how to deal with my voluminous, ever-growing, quite frizzy curls. I would go to great lengths to tame that frizz--all sort of frizz-targeting products, olive oil, leave-in conditioner. Which would have been fine, but I used to wear it long, often in headbands, blow dry it, and brush it out. Lots of no-nos that counteracted anything helpful I was doing. Needless to say, I hated my hair quite a bit through middle school.

Luckily, my mother discovered something called the "Deva Cut." Instead of having my hair cut after washing, the hairdresser cuts it dry, considering the natural angle of the curls, then washes the hair, dries it, and fixes it up. The process also involves a lot of special hair products, specifically in the Deva Curl line. All of it--the cut, the products--are rather expensive. But I love my hair so much more now. So haircuts twice a year it is!

There are some benefits to having longer hair--it's easier to tie back, for example. But I've been wearing my hair up almost constantly for the past few weeks, and I had what I call the dog-eared look (flatter on top, pouffy and curly on the bottom). My hair wasn't terrible, but it was time to do something about it.





My "I am displeased with my hair" face
curly hair before

This morning, I made the half-hour drive to my salon, forked over $65 plus tip (no products--I ask for them for Christmas and get them on the cheap using Amazon gift cards from Swagbucks), and got my hair cut! 

Back in October I had dyed my hair red, and while the color itself is faded out and I ended up with most of it chopped off, my new hair cut has kind of a fun two-tone thing going on. The cut is also much shorter than I usually get, and I ended up liking it a lot :D

short curly hair

short curly hair

short curly hair

I was feeling a tad washed out...so I turned to my current favorite lipstick, Endless by Starlooks.

short curly hair

short curly hair

Finally, I tried to take selfies with Cedric until he ran away from my snuggles.

short curly hair and cat

short curly hair and cat

The price of the cut is obviously not very frugal. But it is worth it, or I make it worth it, for a few reasons:
  • The result is awesome.
  • I can get the products for lower prices elsewhere.
  • They give the best head massages when they wash my hair xD
  • I only go twice a year, and have learned to love all stages of my hair growing out--until it becomes too long to handle!
Is anyone else as obsessed with their haircuts as I am? Do you get anything special done for your hair?

4 comments:

  1. cut looks great on you! curls can be tricky but looks like you found a way to make it work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Luckily hair grows so there is some room for trial and error xD

      Delete
  2. ugh isn't curly hair difficult? right now i just tolerate mine with a $20 wash and trim. i would love to do something fancy one day though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read the Curly Girl book? Lots of great tips like drying your hair with a terry cloth or T-shirt, avoiding sulfate shampoos, etc. I had some luck following the book's ideas before I ever started getting this horribly expensive haircut!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment--they are the highlight of my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...