Movie Review / Spring Breakers | Pennies & Paper: Movie Review / Spring Breakers

    

Movie Review / Spring Breakers

Friday, March 29



Spring Breakers
R (for strong sexual content, language, nudity, drug use and violence throughout), 94 minutes

From the moment my roommate showed us the teaser trailer, my entire suite and I decided we must go and see this film. Unfortunately we were unable to go for a week after its release, but when we finally did it was with an air of humor and not much expectation.

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and artistry of the film! While the plot is certainly a bit strange and the characters so ridiculous we had to laugh (not that the acting was bad, exactly, just that the personalities - coughJamesFranco'scharactercough - were very odd). The soundtrack was beyond stellar, and the film choices were stunning - forgive my lack of knowledge of industry terms, I mean the angles, shots, costumes, etc. The final scene - which I really can't spoil - literally took my breath away.

Overall, Spring Breakers, is not for children or the faint of heart, and viewers may have a hard time, as I did, getting over Disney-girl Selena Gomez's very anti-Disney character. Still, director Harmony Korine (whose Kids, I have been told, I really must watch) has created a film equally beautiful and horrifying.

Spring Breakers opened on March 22nd.

Disclaimer: I paid for a ticket to see this film. All opinions are my own.

2 comments:

  1. I really loved the artistic quality of Spring Breakers! It was funny and insane, but the lighting design and sound design left me in awe sometimes. I liked where they went with the creative and technical elements of it. I think it contrasted the silly and crazy things happening in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, totally agree! If I watch Kids I might do a comparison post just for the fun of it :) Also, you should join me and Alex in our Gofobo obsession next year. Since we aren't in Europe, we have a WHOLE YEAR to get free tickets, not just three months xD

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment--they are the highlight of my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...